The life and times of Jen's Kitchen

Jen's Kitchen is a food relief and outreach services program to survival sex workers in Vancouvers Downtown Eastside. Jen and her volunteers walk the streets handing out food and doing spiritual warfare. Est. 2004.

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Human Rights In Action

That was the title of the conference at the Fraser Valley Institution last night.
Every prison human rights group from B.C. was at this Federal Women's prison.
I went with Strenght In Sisterhood (SIS). I was shocked to see all 55 prisoners were in between the ages 20-44.
I got to see them as Jesus does,55 grown adult bodies who had a bunch of scared little children inside them.
We talked to all the prisoners about their Human Rights and what was going on with how the system doesn't hold up their rights in jail.
We broke off into little groups of 6 each,funny enough my group had the Warden of the prison in it.
We let her live!!
There really wasn't words to describe what I saw or felt but I do know
I could feel the spiits of saddness,loneliness,anger,hopelessness,death but most of all I could feel the womens broken down spirits.
I wanted to cry for these women because I could relate to those feelings.
I felt them all when I was a servival sex worker.
That's why I could identify them right away when I walked in to that prison.

Jen

1 Comments:

  • At 8:51 PM, Blogger Andrew said…

    hi jen. i really love all the work you do for oppressed women and the huge heart you have for them! thanks for caring. you have a wonderful testimony because of the things you have been through, don't forget to share your story with women to give them a hope for their future; a hope in our wonderful saviour, jesus christ!! you are amazing, keep up the good work. your sister, kirsty.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker